Berlin-Charlottenburg

Berlin-Charlottenburg

Berlin-Charlottenburg is located in the central west of Berlin and is divided into the districts Charlottenburg, Charlottenburg-Nord and Westend. Internationally, the district enjoys an exclusive reputation thanks to its impressive old buildings from the imperial era and numerous luxury boutiques. The world-famous Kurfürstendamm with its department stores, boutiques, restaurants, hotels and sights attracts not only tourists but also Berliners. The most famous sights of the district include the Charlottenburg Palace with its imposing gardens, the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church on Kurfürstendamm, the radio tower on the Berlin exhibition grounds and the Berlin Olympic Stadium.

Berggruen Museum

Berggruen Museum

The Berggruen Museum in Berlin-Charlottenburg is a place where outstanding works of art from classical modernism are exhibited. It is one of the most important collections of its kind in the world and comes from the art dealer Heinz Berggruen, who gave the museum its name. The works of art have been painted and created by great artists such as Georges Braque, Pablo Picasso, Paul Klee, Alberto Giacometti and Henri Matisse. The works are spread over three floors. The center of the art collection are 100 exhibits by the world-famous painter Picasso. They illustrate its many facets, as they date from 1897 to 1972. Attentive art connoisseurs will discover Picasso's pink and blue periods as well as his phases of classicism and cubism in the pictures.

Schloßstraße 1
14059 Berlin

Berlin radio tower

Berlin radio tower

The Berlin radio tower rises in the middle of the capital's largest exhibition center in Berlin-Charlottenburg. It is one of the landmarks of Berlin and allows a panoramic view of the metropolis from the vantage point at lofty heights. The steel lattice tower has a height of 146 m and was designed by the architect Heinrich Straumer. The construction time was between 1924 and 1926. In 1926 it was put into operation as part of the 3rd Great German Radio Exhibition in Berlin. This makes the tower around 43 years older than the television tower on Alexanderplatz. The building has been a listed building since 1966. Today there is a restaurant in the tower, which is especially famous for its view.

Hammarskjöldplatz
14055 Berlin

Berlin Waldbühne

Berlin Waldbühne

The Berlin Waldbühne in the Olympiapark in Berlin-Charlottenburg is an open-air stage in the middle of a green environment. Today musicians from pop, classical and rock perform there. Up to 22,290 spectators can listen to the musical sounds when they sit in the forest stage, which resembles a shell and has a white tent roof. The open-air theater was built back in 1936. At that time it was used for the Olympic Games and gymnasts performed there at their championships. The supporting program took place on the stage. The architects based the construction on the shape of a classical ancient amphitheater. That is why the spectator slopes rise steeply, to which the sloping terrain also contributed.

Glockenturmstraße 1
14053 Berlin

Bikini Berlin

Bikini Berlin

Bikini Berlin is a brand that created a new business concept for a listed building complex in Berlin-Charlottenburg at the Zoological Garden. The area includes the Bikinihaus, the large high-rise, the Zoo Palast cinema, the parking garage at the aquarium and the small high-rise with a 25hours hotel. The Bikinihaus building houses an innovative concept shopping mall, which is the first of its kind in the world in this form. The concept deliberately and consistently distinguishes itself from regular shopping malls. The restaurants and boutiques have been carefully coordinated. In addition, so-called "pop-up boxes" are available for temporary rental. Well-known brands and young designers present their products there without complex hurdles.

Budapester Straße 38-50
10787 Berlin

Breitscheidplatz

Breitscheidplatz

The western pedant to Alexanderplatz is Breitscheidplatz in what was once West Berlin. It is located between Kurfürstendamm, Tauentzienstrasse and Budapester Strasse and thus in Berlin-Charlottenburg. It is one of the central squares of the capital and has a very diversified architecture. Although there is no uniform character in the architectural styles, the square is still one of the major sights of the metropolis. This is mainly due to two buildings that rise there: the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church and the Europacenter. The church is a war ruin, which today serves as a memorial. The Europacenter is a large complex in which mainly catering establishments and retailers are located.

Breitscheidplatz
10789 Berlin

Bröhan Museum

Bröhan Museum

The Bröhan Museum in Berlin-Charlottenburg focuses on Art Nouveau, Functionalism and Art Deco. It is named after its founder, who donated his immense private collections of works of art to the State of Berlin. The exhibits are divided into the main themes of fine arts and handicrafts. The spatial division is made clear by a clear illustration, which ranges from Art Nouveau to Art Deco to functionalism. The porcelain collection has a particularly large number of exhibits. It includes works by well-known brands such as Nymphenburg, Meißen, Berlin Copenhagen and many more. Further highlights of the collection are pictures from the Berlin Secession, created by greats like Willy Jaeckel, Karl Hagemeister and Walter Leistikow. Special exhibitions, which often have an international connection, expand the museum's permanent exhibition.

Schloßstraße 1a
14059 Berlin

Charlottenburg Gate

Charlottenburg Gate

The Charlottenburg Gate is on Straße des 17. Juni and near the Technical University of Berlin. The neo-baroque jewelry building is a monument that was erected in the city in 1908 for purely representative purposes. Part of this gateway in Berlin-Charlottenburg is the Charlottenburg Bridge, which is 55 m wide and spans the Landwehr Canal. The gate is particularly worth seeing because of its two 5 m high bronze statues on the outside of the building. They show the first royal couple in Prussia: Friedrich I and his wife Sophie Charlotte. Visitors have the opportunity to climb the platform of the gate on the north wing. It is 22 m high and offers a good view of the zoo including the victory column.

Charlottenburger Tor
10623 Berlin

Ernst-Reuter-Platz

Ernst-Reuter-Platz

An important traffic junction in Berlin-Charlottenburg is Ernst-Reuter-Platz, which can be easily recognized by its large fountain in the center of the square. The square is named after the mayor of Berlin, Ernst Reuter, who died in Berlin in 1953. At the traffic junction, numerous streets meet in a star shape and are linked by a roundabout. The fountain in the middle has a large water basin and 41 fountains. This design goes back to the 1950s. At that time, two architects made sure the space was very spacious. However, it was not enough, which is why further modifications were made to cope with the increasing traffic density.

Ernst-Reuter-Platz
10587 Berlin

Europacenter

Europacenter

The Europacenter rises on Breitscheidplatz in Berlin-Charlottenburg opposite the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. Its opening dates back to 1965, making it one of the oldest shopping centers in the metropolis. Today there are 70 shops and restaurants in it. The mix of industries is diverse, as it includes fashion stores as well as sports shops, tobacco shops and much more. The dining options range from Irish pubs to international restaurants. A large Mercedes star that rotates slowly sits enthroned on the approximately 103 m high house. Another hallmark of the building is a chronometer. It is made up of numerous glass balls and extends over three floors.

Tauentzienstraße 9-12
10789 Berlin

Exhibition center

Exhibition center

The exhibition center in Berlin-Charlottenburg is the most important exhibition location in the German capital. The radio tower towers over him. The site itself has 160,000 m² of hall space, which is spread over 26 exhibition halls. They are all interlinked, which is why trade fair visits get from one hall to the next with dry feet. The area includes a 10,000 m² summer garden, which is centrally located and green. In May 2014 the trade fair location was enriched by CityCube Berlin. It is a multifunctional exhibition, congress and event arena on the corner of Jafféestraße / Messedamm. The hall has two levels and an area of 6,000 m².

Messedamm 22
14055 Berlin

Gebauer Höfe

Gebauer Höfe

The Gebauer Höfe in Berlin-Charlottenburg represent an approximately 20,000 m² factory area, which nestles directly on the Spree and is characterized by mixed use. Today there are retailers and various service companies in the listed ensemble. The historic factory building was created in the second half of the 19th century. The attractive appearance of the building is based on its special commercial architecture, which was so typical of the 19th century. Bricks and clear structures characterize the ensemble. The company Bleicherei und Maschinenfabrik Gebauer, from which the current name of the plant is derived, was the first user of the premises.

Franklinstraße 9-15a
10587 Berlin

German opera

German opera

The Deutsche Oper is located in Berlin-Charlottenburg. It is the largest of the three opera houses in the capital. An opera house was built on the same site between 1911 and 1913, but it was destroyed during the Second World War. In 1961 a new opera building was opened at the same location. With almost 2,000 seats, it is one of the largest theaters in Germany. The architecture of the building is minimalist and straightforward. The foyers are spacious and the window facades huge. There is a very good view of the stage from all seats. The operatic repertoire focuses on classical works by Wagner, Verdi, Strauss and Puccini. Less known pieces from the first half of the 20th century are also performed there.

Bismarckstraße 35
10627 Berlin

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

One of the most important sights in the capital is the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church on Breitscheidplatz in Berlin-Charlottenburg. The Protestant church building is both a monument and a memorial against war and destruction at the same time. At the end of the 19th century, Kaiser Wilhelm II had it built in neo-Romanesque style in memory of his grandfather. At that time the tower of the church was the tallest structure in the city with a height of 113 m. The war riots of World War II destroyed the church so badly that only the nave could be demolished. It was rebuilt between 1959 and 1963 in the modern style. Only the ruins of the tower remained and have since served as a memorial against the war. A memorial hall has been housed in it since 1987.

Breitscheidplatz
10789 Berlin

Käthe Kollwitz Museum

Käthe Kollwitz Museum

The Käthe Kollwitz Museum in Berlin-Charlottenburg is dedicated to the artist's life's work. She created remarkable works of art that raised awareness of war and social injustice. The museum was founded in 1986. The basis for this was the Kollwitz collection of the museum's founder, Hans Pels-Leusden. On the four floors of the building, visitors discover world-famous and less famous works of art by Kollwitz. This includes sculptures, graphics and drawings. The audio tours provide background information. There is also a photo series on the ground floor that takes museum visitors to Berlin at the moment by Käthe Kollwitz. Student projects and events take place at regular intervals that emphasize the current importance of the artist's themes.

Fasanenstraße 24
10719 Berlin

Kurfürstendamm

Kurfürstendamm

The Kurfürstendamm is one of the most famous main shopping streets in Germany and runs through the Berlin-Charlottenburg district. It leads from Rathenauplatz to Breitscheidplatz and is around 3.5 km long. The idiosyncratic name of the shopping mile is based on its history. The dam was laid out as a bridle path for Elector Joachim II as early as the 16th century. The appearance has changed significantly over the centuries, as the focus is now on retail and gastronomy. Numerous retailers have settled at Breitscheidplatz in particular. Between the Gedächtniskirche and Adenauerplatz there are increasingly high-priced shops from exclusive brands such as Valentino and Yves Saint Laurent.

Kurfürstendamm
10707 Berlin

Lietzensee

Lietzensee

In Berlin-Charlottenburg there is the 6.6 hectare Lietzensee, a popular inner-city excursion destination for walkers and those looking for relaxation. There are no flat spots on the banks and swimming is not possible, but nothing stands in the way of sunbathing. The lake has the shape of a sickle and is up to 4 m deep. The Lietzenseepark stretches around the lake with its lawns and trees. It has a size of 10 hectares and was designed in the first half of the 20th century by the gardening director Erwin Barth. The complex has been a listed building since the 1990s. Not far from the lake and in the park are various monuments and sculptures.

Lietzensee
14057 Berlin

Museum of Photography

Museum of Photography

The Museum of Photography is located on Jebensstrasse opposite the Zoologischer Garten train station in Berlin-Charlottenburg. It is a facility of the Berlin State Museums and is housed in the historic Landwehr Casino. At the beginning of September 1909 the casino was opened in the presence of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Its neoclassical facade is not very conspicuous and belies the magnificent interior. The building houses ballrooms, a restaurant and guest rooms. Today, visitors can learn interesting facts about photography in the 2,000 m² museum. The main attraction is the photo collection of the Helmut Newton Foundation. Shortly before the death of the Berlin photographer Helmut Newton, he set up the foundation himself in 2003.

Jebensstraße 2
10623 Berlin

Olympic Stadium

Olympic Stadium

The Olympic Stadium is located in Berlin-Charlottenburg. It belongs to the Olympic site, which was once called the Reichssportfeld. The construction time was only two years: from 1934 to 1936. At that time the construction for the games of the XI. Olympiad was established in August 1936. There was room for up to 100,000 spectators. Nowadays the stadium is mainly used as the home ground of the Hertha BSC football club. It currently has 74,475 seats, of which 38,020 can be found on the lower ring and 36,455 on the upper ring. Hertha BSC has played its home games in the stadium since 1963. The annual DFB Cup final has been held in the building since 1985.

Olympischer Platz 3
14053 Berlin

Savignyplatz

Savignyplatz

A well-known block square in Berlin-Charlottenburg is Savignyplatz, which was included in a development plan for the city as early as 1862 and bears the name of the lawyer Friedrich Carl von Savigny. Three streets cross the Blockplatz, of which Kantstrasse is the largest street. It divides a green area into two halves, the origin of which goes back to 1892. In 1926 the complex was converted into a garden and recreational area. In the meantime, the complex has become a garden monument. The block area includes an S-Bahn station that ensures easy access by public transport. The central square is well frequented as there are numerous restaurants and bars.

Savignyplatz
10623 Berlin

Schloss Charlottenburg

Schloss Charlottenburg

Berlin's largest palace was named after the first Queen of Prussia - Sophie Charlotte: Charlottenburg Palace in the Berlin-Charlottenburg district of the same name. It was built by different architects between the years 1695 to 1791 in several sections in the styles of Rococo, Baroque and Classicism. In the Second World War there was immense damage, which is why extensive reconstruction took place by 1957. In 1888 it lost its status as a royal residence. Today the magnificent building houses the castle museum. The castle is now one of the capital's most important attractions. Part of it are the palace gardens with the Belvedere, the New Pavilion with a collection of romantic paintings and the mausoleum.

Spandauer Damm 10-22
14059 Berlin

Schustehruspark

Schustehruspark

The Schustehruspark, which is one of the many green oases in the city, is expanding in Berlin-Charlottenburg. It has a large park with old trees, artfully laid out flower beds and roundels. There is a children's playground on the south side. As soon as dusk sets in, the nostalgic lanterns emit an atmospheric light. The magnificent, listed park was not always open to the public. It was once part of the Villa Oppenheim. The garden architect Erwin Barth transformed the green space into a public park in 1914, which at first only residents of the apartment buildings in the area could enter. The park was named after Kurt Schustehrus, who was mayor of Charlottenburg.

Schustehruspark
10585 Berlin

Tauentzienstraße

Tauentzienstraße

In Berlin-Charlottenburg, the approximately 500 m long Tauentzienstrasse shopping mile stretches along, which is a continuation of the Kurfürstendamm. When it was built around 1890, it was still used as a residential street. This changed in 1907 when the Kaufhaus des Westen, the largest German department store, was built on it. The street has now become one of the capital's main shopping streets, making it one of the most famous and most expensive retail locations. Almost exclusively branches of renowned brands are lined up next to each other. The number of branches is almost 85% and is only slightly lower than at Kurfürstendamm.

Tauentzienstraße
10789 Berlin

Technical University Berlin

Technical University Berlin

The Technical University of Berlin - also called TU Berlin - is located in Berlin-Charlottenburg. Around 35,600 students study at the third largest of the four Berlin universities, spread across 90 courses. It is also one of the largest universities in Germany. The history of the university goes back to the Königlich Technische Hochschule zu Berlin from 1879. The main building was designed shortly beforehand in 1876 and 1877 by the German architect Richard Lucae. It was opened in 1884. After the Second World War, the university was re-established and, from 1969, further innovations were carried out. Since 2006 the TU has also had an international orientation.

Straße des 17. Juni
10623 Berlin

Theater of the West

Theater of the West

The Stage Theater of the West is located on Kantstrasse in the West Berlin center in Berlin-Charlottenburg. It is one of the most important stages in Germany, although the magnificent Wilhelmine building was only opened in 1896. At the opening at the end of the 19th century, exquisite visitors were allowed to listen to the fairy tale Thousand and One Nights. Around 20 years later, mainly operas and operettas were performed on the stage. During the National Socialist era, the house became the Volksoper. Nowadays the theater is mainly used for the performance of world-famous musicals.

Kantstraße 12
10623 Berlin

University of the Arts

University of the Arts

With over 3,500 students in more than 30 courses, the University of the Arts is one of the largest art universities in Europe. The university buildings are spread over 15 locations in Berlin. The university has four faculties: Design, Fine Arts, Music and Performing Arts and the Central Institute for Continuing Education. These faculties combine all artistic disciplines and the associated sciences. This part of the university was created in 1975 when the State University of Fine Arts were merged with the State University of Music and Performing Arts. Both areas emerged from the Prussian Academy of Arts in the 19th century. The university was given its current name in 2001.

Hardenbergstraße 33
10623 Berlin

Volkspark Jungfernheide

Volkspark Jungfernheide

The Volkspark Jungfernheide is expanding in Berlin-Charlottenburg. The green area is popular with Berliners and tourists because it is versatile and has various sights. In the northwest, young and old can let off steam on the sports fields. A large adventure playground dates back to 1956 and has been renovated several times. The forest high ropes course in the southeast of the park also contributes to fun and games. In the summer months, sun-seekers come to the center of the park to lie down by the Jungfernheideteich. It is an artificially created body of water with a lido. There is a fresh water inflow with the Nonnengraben Canal. The water from the pond ultimately flows back into the Spree. There has also been an enclosure for wild animals since 2013.

Jungfernheideweg 60
13629 Berlin

Weltkugelbrunnen

Weltkugelbrunnen

The Weltkugelbrunnen in Berlin is located in the Berlin-Charlottenburg district and is on Breitscheidplatz directly in front of the Europacenter. The water feature is now a well-known meeting place for Berliners. The facility was built in 1983 based on a design by the sculptor Joachim Schmettau. The artist conceived a design from various hewn blocks made of red granite. The watercourse of the fountain is made of bronze. It shows five scenes: alpine pastures, mountains, mermaids, garbage dump and urban landscape. Further fountains, water features and fountains are installed on the fountain system. The name of the fountain can be seen from its shape: It represents a globe that presents characters from different cultures. A staircase surrounds the water basin.

Breitscheidplatz
10789 Berlin

Zoologischer Garten station

Zoologischer Garten station

The Zoologischer Garten train station in Berlin-Charlottenburg is located on Hardenbergplatz in close proximity to the Berlin Zoo. It is a through station that opened in 1882. At that time it was a 71 meter long hall for local traffic. Over the centuries there have been numerous expansion measures, which has increased the volume of traffic. Nowadays, regional trains, regional express trains and S-Bahn trains depart from there. The complex includes an underground subway station of the same name. It was put into operation in 1902. In addition, there is a connection to the bus at Hardenbergplatz. During the GDR era, the station complex was the most important traffic junction for long-distance passenger traffic in the west of the metropolis. Today, numerous restaurants, shops and service providers are housed in the station building.

Hardenbergplatz 11
10623 Berlin