Skip to main

Berlin-Schöneberg


Berlin-Schöneberg
District

Berlin-Schöneberg is one of the most diverse districts in Berlin and is located with its districts Schöneberg and Friedenau in the south-western center of Berlin. The district offers seamless, harmonious contrasts from lively trendy quarters with bars, clubs and pubs to dignified, familiar residential areas. The district's gay and lesbian scene, which is well known beyond Berlin's borders, enriches city life in Berlin with its flashy bars, shops and events. Numerous lavish green spaces and fantastic squares with cafes and restaurants characterize the district and invite Berliners and non-Berliners to linger and enjoy. The tourist highlight of the district is the Kaufhaus des Westens - KaDeWe for short - on Wittenbergplatz, which is one of the most renowned department stores in the world.

Bayerischer Platz

Bayerischer Platz

Bayerischer Platz in Berlin-Schöneberg is the center of the Bavarian Quarter. It was built as a jewelry space in 1908 based on the designs by Fritz Enke. To achieve this, the builders created green spaces, planted trees and set up benches. Almost 50 years later, extensive modifications were made to the square to make the city more car-friendly. For this purpose, the square was cut into two differently sized parts and thus lost its charm. Further renovation measures were decided in 2007 to improve the quality of stay on site. Numerous celebrities lived in the area around the square, including the scientist Albert Einstein and the psychoanalyst Erich Fromm.

Bayerischer Platz
10779 Berlin

Breslauer Platz

Breslauer Platz

In Berlin-Schöneberg, Breslauer Platz is located in the Friedenau district. It is very well known in the capital, because a weekly market has been held on the approximately 1,300 m³ square since 1881. This makes it the oldest market of its kind in the metropolis. The square was laid out in 1875, when it was called the school or market square. From 1875 to 1964 it was called Lauterplatz. Lauter refers to the left tributary of the Rhine. In 1964 the name was finally changed to its current name in order to create a reference to the capital of Silesia. The reason given for the renaming was that the Schöneberg district had Silesia as the sponsor district.

Breslauer Platz
12159 Berlin

Castle Street Center

Castle Street Center

In March 2007, next to the Forum Steglitz in Berlin-Schöneberg, the Schloss-Straßen-Center - SSC for short - was opened after a year of construction. It has a sales area of 16,200 m² with around 30 shops on three levels. The cost of construction was 80 million euros. The offer in the mall ranges from food and home accessories to clothing and gastronomy. The most important anchor tenant is Primark. The shopping center has a multi-storey car park with 365 parking spaces. In addition, it is easy to get to by subway, as there is direct access to the Walther-Schreiber-Platz station. The closest S-Bahn station is the Feuerbachstraße stop, which is a five-minute walk away.

Walther-Schreiber-Platz 1
12161 Berlin

Ceciliengärten

Ceciliengärten

With the Ceciliengärten in Berlin-Schöneberg there is a green oasis in the middle of the city and an architectural sight. It is located near the Friedenau S-Bahn station and between Semperstrasse in the south and Traegerstrasse in the north. This is a housing estate from the 1920s that is still well preserved. It is a walk-in witness of the chic Art Déco. The housing estate was built between 1922 and 1927 for city employees. The name bearer is the Crown Princess Cecilie von Prussia, who lived from 1886 to 1954. The estate's planner was the Schöneberg town planner Heinrich Lassen, who also worked as an architect. Restoration work on the facility took place in 1986. Nine years later, the housing estate was added to the list of Berlin monuments.

Ceciliengärten
12159 Berlin

Cosimaplatz

Cosimaplatz

In Berlin-Schöneberg in the Friedenau district, there is a garden-like town square, Cosimaplatz. It hugs the Ringbahn in the south and the Friedenau district in the north. The park represents the urban planning center of the Wagnerviertel district. The streets are named after characters from Richard Wagner's operas. The history of the pak goes back to the beginning of the 20th century. Up until 1904 there was a 500 m long cycle racing track with cement floor in the surrounding area of this city quarter. The sports park has been demolished and the site was then used to build apartment buildings for upscale living. The park itself was laid out in 1905 and was only given its current name in 1935. Cosima Wagner was Richard Wagner's second wife.

Cosimaplatz
12159 Berlin

David Bowie Apartment

David Bowie Apartment

At the end of the 1970s, music legend David Bowie lived in Berlin-Schöneberg on Schöneberger Hauptstrasse. Punk rocker Iggy Pop moves in with him later, but he then rents a smaller apartment in the rear building. Bowie stayed in his apartment in Berlin until 1978 and wrote three major albums there: Low, Heroes and Lodger. At the time, fans didn't know where Bowie was staying. There was no rush of groupies. Bowie fans from all over the world visit the apartment today. After the musician's death, the outside area of his former apartment was decorated with flowers and pictures.

Hauptstraße 155
10827 Berlin

Friedenau town hall

Friedenau town hall

At the transition from Rheinstrasse to Hauptstrasse at the corner of Niedstrasse and Lauterstrasse, the Friedenau town hall is an administrative building for the Berlin-Schöneberg district. It has a mix of three architectural styles: historicism, neo-baroque and neoclassicism. Its height is 71 m. It was built between 1913 and 1916. It suffered severe damage in the Second World War, but extensive reconstruction work was carried out between 1950 and 1956. As part of the work, the facade has been considerably simplified. In front of the town hall is Breslauer Platz, where a weekly market has been held since 1881. This is the city's oldest weekly market at all.

Niedstraße 2
12159 Berlin

Friedrich-Wilhelm-Platz

Friedrich-Wilhelm-Platz

The Friedrich-Wilhelm-Platz in Berlin-Schöneberg is named after the German Emperor Friedrich III. named. It was created around 1870 based on designs by JAW von Carstenn and Johannes Otzen and served as an extension of the former Kaiserstraße. A horticultural design followed 17 years later. Directly on the square is the church “Zum Guten Hirten”, a landmark that can be seen from a distance. The Protestant church in neo-Gothic style was built in 1891. Another striking ensemble of buildings on the square is the castle, which is on the corner of Schmargendorfer Straße. The square itself represents the topographical center of the geometric street figure of Carstenn and is therefore the center of Friedenau.

Friedrich-Wilhelm-Platz
12161 Berlin

Gasometer Schöneberg

Gasometer Schöneberg

The 78 m high Schöneberg Gasometer is located in Berlin-Schöneberg and is an impressive testimony to the history of the gas supply in today's capital. The gas company was founded in 1871. It supplied Schöneberg and the southern part of the Spree with gas. The plant was soon expanded to meet the increased demand. The building has been a listed building since 1994. It no longer fulfills its former use. Instead, it is an event space with a transparent dome. The European Energy Forum holds congresses, meetings and dinner events on site. In addition, the building is a landmark of the Schöneberg district of Berlin.

EUREF-Campus 17
10829 Berlin

Heinrich Lassen Park

Heinrich Lassen Park

Heinrich Lassen Park is located in Berlin-Schöneberg and was created in 1953 on the site of an Ice Age wetland. In the 19th century the Richnow and Willmann families had gardens in this area. They became very rich and well-known through the sale of huge areas to the city in the early days of the company. In 2010, the Tempelhof-Schöneberg district office started extensive renovation work. As a result, there is now a park that is a beautiful green area with a playground and lawn. A fairy tale playground has also been available since 2018, which is why the park attracts many families. It is named after the German architect Heinrich Lassen, who lived between 1874 and 1953.

Belziger Str. 59
10823 Berlin

Heinrich-von-Kleist-Park

Heinrich-von-Kleist-Park

Heinrich-von-Kleist-Park is located in Berlin-Schöneberg in the Tempelhof-Schöneberg district between the streets of Postdamer Strasse and Elßholzstrasse. It was laid out in 1718. The park was once the seat of the city's botanical garden and therefore enjoyed supraregional importance. At the end of the 19th century the size of the green area was no longer sufficient, which is why the botanical garden moved to Dahlem. The space was then used differently. Three important buildings were built on it: the chamber court, the royal colonnades and the horse tamers. All three buildings were built architecturally and historically independently of one another. Only over many decades did they grow together into one construct.

Heinrich-von-Kleist-Park
10781 Berlin

High bunker Pallasstrasse

High bunker Pallasstrasse

In Berlin-Schöneberg on Pallasstrasse is the high-rise bunker Pallasstrasse, the shell of which was only completed and has four floors. In the last years of the Second World War, the building was built by forced laborers. The aim with the construction was to create a shelter for the telecommunications office in Winterfeldstrasse. From the 1980s to 2010, the building could be used as a civil defense facility. It has also been used as a warehouse for emergency goods. In the late spring of 2002, the advanced history course of the nearby Sophie Scholl School will take place on the premises. In this context, the bunker is seen as a “place of remembrance”. The bunker has been a listed building since 2011.

Pallasstraße 28
10781 Berlin

Insulaner

Insulaner

With a height of 78 m, the Insulaner Berg is the oldest mountain of rubble in Berlin. It was created in the post-war years from 1946 to 1951 from around 1.8 million cubic meters of rubble from the city, which was badly damaged in World War II. Today the rubble mountain is a popular destination. It is provided with diverse vegetation, which means that its artificial origin can no longer be recognized. The mountain's attractions include an observatory and a planetarium. A mini golf course and a toboggan run ensure fun and games. On nice days of the year it is possible to visit the nearby summer pool.

Munsterdamm / Prellerweg
12169 Berlin

KaDeWe

KaDeWe

The Kaufhaus des Westens - KaDeWe for short - is one of the most famous department stores in Germany and one of the largest in Europe with around 60,000 m² of retail space. It is located on Tauentzienstrasse on Wittenbergplatz in Berlin-Schöneberg. Both of its parking garages can be reached via Passauer Straße. Since the opening of the shopping temple in 1907, it has developed into an institution in Berlin. The wide range of goods attracts residents as well as vacationers from all over the world. The focus is on luxury products from numerous prestigious global brands. In addition to clothing, accessories and home articles, visitors have found an extensive delicatessen department since the late 1920s. Since expanding in 1978, it has become the second largest grocery department in a department store in the world.

Tauentzienstraße 21-24
10789 Berlin

Nollendorfplatz

Nollendorfplatz

The Nollendorfplatz in Berlin-Schöneberg is all about rainbow colors and thus diversity and tolerance. The streets around the square have developed into an established neighborhood with numerous places to go out. A memorial plaque has been part of the square since 1982, which draws attention to the persecution and killing of homosexuals in the Third Reich. Flowers are often placed there. There are also the so-called stumbling blocks. You are right in front of the houses in which murdered and deported citizens lived at the time of the National Socialists. However, the history of the square is even older. It was laid out between 1862 and 1864.

Nollendorfplatz
10777 Berlin

Perelsplatz

Perelsplatz

In Berlin-Schöneberg in the Friedenau district is Perelsplatz, which was designed and laid out as a rectangular, elongated park at the beginning of the 20th century. In previous years there was a square in the same place, but it had a different name. The current name has existed since 1961. Friedrich Justus Perels was arrested in 1944 in connection with the Hitler attack and shot in 1945 by the Gestapo. Since the park was established, strollers have been coming there. Initially, birch trees dominated the vegetation. Chestnuts, oaks, yew trees, walnut trees and beeches now also provide shade there. The special features of the park include a children's playground, a 4.20 m high flood well and a memorial in honor of soldiers who died in the First World War.

Perelsplatz
12159 Berlin

Planetarium

Planetarium

The planetarium at the Insulaner in Berlin-Schöneberg is a large planetarium with 300 seats. It lies at the foot of the rubble mountain of the same name. The Wilhelm Foerster Observatory is located on its summit. The large planetarium is characterized by a dome in which the hall for astronomical and cultural lectures is housed. There is also the entrance area and showcases as well as an office, technical rooms and administrative rooms. The library is rich in astronomical magazines and books. The large planetarium was opened in 1965. Since then the building has been expanded again and again to meet the new requirements. The same applies to the technical equipment. Thanks to the changing science and culture program, the facility is visited by both vacationers and Berliners.

Munsterdamm 90
12169 Berlin

Renee-Sintenis-Platz

Renee-Sintenis-Platz

Renee-Sintenis-Platz is located in Berlin-Schöneberg and was called Wilmersdorfer Platz until 1967. It has had its current shape since 1955, when the square was redesigned by Karl Tümler. The first house at this location was the former Imperial Post Office, where the post office continues to have its headquarters. The square itself is an official garden monument of the State of Berlin, with a sculpture in the center. It bears the descriptive name “Grazing Foal” and was created by the sculptor and graphic artist Renée Sintenis. The square was ultimately named after her. The artist, who died in 1965, created other famous works, including the bronze sculptures of the Berlin bear.

Renee-Sintenis-Platz
12159 Berlin

Royal Colonnades

Royal Colonnades

In Heinrich-von-Kleist-Park in Berlin-Schöneberg, the royal colonnades form the imposing entrance to the park from Potsdamer Strasse. Architecturally, they represent the transition period from Rococo to Classicism. The colonnades were created by the architect Gontart between the years 1770 and 1780. At that time they served as an extended structural element to the King's Bridge, which led across the moat to the royal seat. As part of a tram extension, the moat was filled in and the bridge was also torn down. The colonnades were removed in 1910 and 1911 in order to rebuild them in the aforementioned park. Since 2002 they have been the backdrop for the music festival "Jazz at the Colonnades".

Königskolonnaden
10781 Berlin

Rudolph-Wilde-Park

Rudolph-Wilde-Park

The Rudolph-Wilde-Park in Berlin-Schöneberg forms a central green corridor with the Volkspark Wilmersdorf, which has developed into a popular recreational destination within the city. The history of the park goes back to 1906. It was created between 1910 and 1912. It was named after the first mayor of the then city of Schöneberg. The 7-hectare facility is characterized by walking paths and play and sunbathing areas. With the beer garden there is a restaurant. The greatest attraction of the area, however, is the heraldic animal of Schöneberg: a golden stag. It is attached to a column nearly nine meters high. The Carl Zuckmayer Bridge, which has impressive staircases and stone figures, is also a popular photo opportunity.

Kufsteiner Straße
10825 Berlin

Schöneberg Town Hall

Schöneberg Town Hall

The Schöneberg Town Hall, built between 1911 and 1914 in Berlin-Schöneberg of the same name, was the district town hall for two districts of the city from 1920. After the city was divided into East and West in 1949, it also served as the official seat of the Governing Mayor, the Berlin House of Representatives and the West Berlin Senate. In front of the town hall is John F. Kennedy Square, which was named at the end of 1963. Only a few months earlier, the US President had given his legendary speech in this square, during which he uttered the words “I am a Berliner”. The reunification resulted in the Governing Mayor, the House of Representatives and the Senate Chancellery moving. Today the building is used as a district town hall for Tempelhof-Schöneberg.

Am Rathaus 2
10825 Berlin

Schöneberger Südgelände

Schöneberger Südgelände

The Schöneberger Südgelände in Berlin-Schöneberg is an 18-hectare nature park that is located at the Priesterweg S-Bahn station. It has viewpoints, lawns and benches. In addition, walks can use the circular trails, on which there are 30 information boards with interesting facts about the park. There are also art objects and railway relics to visit. The landmark of the facility is a steel water tower. He points out the history of this area. More than 100 years ago, the southern area was part of the Tempelhof marshalling yard built in 1875. Rail operations ceased in the middle of the last century. As a result, nature reclaimed the area. Today, large parts of the area are designated as a nature reserve.

Prellerweg 47-49
12157 Berlin

St. Matthew Cemetery

St. Matthew Cemetery

In March 1856, the St. Matthew Cemetery was inaugurated with its cemetery. It is located in Berlin-Schöneberg and is part of the Tiergarten district. The cemetery is extraordinary because it holds many stories with lavishly decorated graves from the Wilhelminian era and 50 honorary graves of celebrities. Some of the tombs are so culturally and historically important that they are listed. The grave of the brothers Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm, which is located in the old churchyard, is one of the resting places that are well worth seeing. The German singer and composer Rio Reiser also found his final resting place there. Again and again, flowers and fan articles can be discovered on his grave. There is a memorial stone for the resistance fighter Count Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg, whose body was exhumed and cremated at Himmel's request. The ashes were scattered anonymously.

Großgörschenstraße 12-14
10829 Berlin

Südkreuz

Südkreuz

In Berlin-Schöneberg there is a train station of the Deutsche Bahn with the Südkreuz. Its opening under the name Papestrasse took place on January 1st, 1901. In 2006 the tower station was built in its current appearance, although adaptation measures are still taking place. In the course of this, it also received its new name. The tower station enjoys a certain importance in the capital, because it is the transfer point between long-distance passenger transport via ICE, EuroNight and IC / EC and local transport and the S-Bahn. In addition, there are stops for various lines of the city's own bus transport as well as long-distance bus routes. This crossing station with its ten platform tracks is currently one of the three largest long-distance train stations in the capital.

Lotte-Laserstein-Straße
10829 Berlin

Summer swimming at the Insulaner

Summer swimming at the Insulaner

In Berlin-Schöneberg on Musterdamm, there is a popular outdoor pool, the Insulaner summer pool. It is named after a mountain of the same name that is located in its vicinity and was built from rubble from wartime. Today the mountain and the swimming pool are popular destinations. Part of the family pool are a pool for babies and a non-swimmer area with a slide. Children under 5 years can enter it free of charge. Older children and adults mainly use the classic sports pool, which is 50 m long. There are numerous lawns around the pools. They are used for recreation, picnics and sunbathing.

Munsterdamm 80
12169 Berlin

Urban Nation

Urban Nation

The aim of the Urban Nation Museum in Berlin-Schöneberg is to provide space for urban contemporary art. It has been bringing international artists together and promoting young talent since 2017. Numerous large exhibitions take place there every year, during which greats such as Fintan Magee, Shepard Fairey, Lora Zombie, JR or Herakut have been able to present their works. This included text-based work as well as action art, portraits and conceptual works. But not only the art exhibitions are worth seeing, but also the building itself. It dates back to the early days of the company and has been functionally converted by renowned architects. The modular facade serves as a surface for changing works of art.

Bülowstraße 7
10783 Berlin

Viktoria Luise Platz

Viktoria Luise Platz

Viktoria Luise Platz is expanding in the Bavarian Quarter in the Berlin-Schöneberg district. Winterfeldstrasse and Welsterstrasse as well as Regensburger and Münchener Strasse converge there. The 160 m long and 90 m wide area is a listed building and takes the shape of an elongated hexagon. With Viktoria Luise it bears the name of the only daughter of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The history of the square goes back to the end of the 19th century. It is considered a prime example of a horticultural jewelery place from this time. Then as now, the area is a magnet for residents and holidaymakers. You marvel at the ornamental beds and fountains, while the benches invite you to take a break. Numerous restaurants and cafés have settled in the immediate vicinity of the square.

Viktoria-Luise-Platz
10777 Berlin

Walther-Schreiber-Platz

Walther-Schreiber-Platz

Walther-Schreiber-Platz with the subway station of the same name is located in Berlin-Schöneberg. It is located on the border between Friedenau and the Steglitz district. It has a direct transition to Schloßstraße and thus to the Schloss-Straßen-Center (SSC) with all its shops and the Forum Steglitz. The station was built between 1967 and 1969. The inauguration took place at the end of January 1971. For three years the station was the southern end point of the former line 9. Then the underground line was expanded. The visual design of the station has also changed over the decades. It is also noteworthy that at the subway station it is possible to change to various bus lines of the Berlin transport company.

Walther-Schreiber-Platz
12161 Berlin

Winterfeldtplatz

Winterfeldtplatz

In 1890 the foundation stone was laid for today's Winterfeldtplatz in Berlin-Schöneberg. Three years later it was given its current name, which is derived from the Prussian general Hans Karl von Winterfeldt. The square is 280 m long and 80 m wide. The largest weekly market in the capital takes place there on Wednesdays and Saturdays. In the south of the area is the Catholic Church of St. Matthias, which is an important church building. It shines in the neo-Gothic style and was consecrated in 1895. Due to the destruction in World War II, extensive restoration work was necessary. Nollendorfplatz, which has an underground station of the same name, extends to the north.

Winterfeldtstraße
10781 Berlin

Wittenbergplatz

Wittenbergplatz

Between the years 1889 and 1892 the Wittenbergplatz was laid out in Berlin-Schöneberg. The Tauentzienstrasse - Kleiststrasse road runs through it in a west-east direction. The historic department store and internationally known department store KaDeWe rises on its corner in the southwest. The square gained national fame for its central island and the underground station there. The design comes from the architect Alfred Grenander, who was based on the historical model. The square is particularly popular during business hours as there are numerous shops on it. Other magnets are hotels, a language school and a medical center, which also contribute to a high number of pedestrians.

Wittenbergplatz
10789 Berlin