Skip to main

Berlin-Wilmersdorf


Berlin-Wilmersdorf
District

Berlin-Wilmersdorf is located with its districts Wilmersdorf, Schmargendorf, Grunewald and Halensee in the southwest of Berlin. Elegant historic old buildings, well-tended squares, beautifully designed parks and the extensive Grunewald with its lakes make the district one of the most interesting districts in Berlin. Berlin-Wilmersdorf owes its exclusive reputation to numerous luxury boutiques and shops, a wide range of cultural offerings and trendy restaurants. Dignified and sophisticated residential quarters characterize the district in a peaceful coexistence. The most famous sights of the district are mostly located in the 3,000 hectare Grunewald; these include the Teufelsberg, the Grunewald Tower and the Grunewald hunting lodge on the Grunewaldsee.

Avus

Avus

The Avus is the very first road in Europe that was only allowed to be used by cars. It is located in the southwest of the city in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. Construction began in 1913. However, the First World War and the years after that caused delays in construction. In 1921, however, the time had come: the first race could take place on the track. This car race was followed by a motorcycle race in June 1922. The road is predestined for competitions because the road is almost dead straight and has a length of 8.3 km. Only at the end there were initially two loops. This meant that the route was around 19 km long at the opening times. The last race on the historic road took place in 1998.

Avus
14193 Berlin

Fasanenplatz

Fasanenplatz

Fasanenplatz, which got its current name in 1901, is located in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It was planned in 1870 by Johann Anton Wilhelm von Carstenn-Lichterfelde, who created a corner point in the northwest of the Carstenn figure. Until the middle of the 20th century, intellectuals and artists lived in the surrounding streets. One of the most famous residents is the author Gerhart Hauptmann, who stayed there around the 19th century. The environment and the square have changed over the decades. It has been traffic-calmed since the 1980s, which has made it more attractive. In 1989 a water column was added, created by Rolf Lieberknecht. Nowadays it is a green square with a high value to stay and a prime example of pedestrian-friendly urban development.

Fasanenplatz
10719 Berlin

Fennsee

Fennsee

The still water Fennsee is located in Berlin-Wilmersdorf not far from the Wilhelmsaue street, which once made up the center of Alt-Wilmersdorf. The body of water has a tube-like shape because it is around 650 m long and 35 m wide. It is possible for walkers to go around the water, as it has a path along the banks. In some areas the bank is very steep. There is a narrow parking lane there, which enables you to arrive by car. In the north-west there is an area of the Wilmersdorf community cemetery from 1886, where various graves of honor are located. Nature lovers like to come to the lake with its green area, as the animal species diversity is immense. There are species that perform mimetic and mimicry.

Fennsee
10713 Berlin

Grunewald

Grunewald

In the western district of Berlin-Wilmersdorf there is the Grunewald, a forest area of around 3,000 hectares, which received the forest area of the year 2015 award due to its diversity. The forest gave the local S-Bahn station, the district and the villa colony its name. The Havel borders the forest to the west. It is broken through by several smaller lakes, the largest of which are the Krumme Lanke, the Schlachtensee and the Grunewaldsee. The so-called Grunewald Tower rises on the Karlsberg. Part of the area is the Grunewald-Forst cemetery and the Teufelsberg.

Grunewald
14193 Berlin

Grunewald hunting lodge

Grunewald hunting lodge

The Grunewald Hunting Lodge on Lake Grunewaldsee in Berlin-Wilmersdorf has the oldest Renaissance-style palace hall in the capital and also exhibits works by Lucas Cranach. It was built in the 16th century by Elector Joachim II of Brandenburg because he needed a hunting base. The builder Casper Theiss provided the design for the moated castle. The trenches of that time were filled in and the lake was lowered. The main building of the castle has two floors with tower-like corner wings. They point to the lake. A deer relief sits enthroned at the entrance gate. Over the centuries, modernizations took place continuously, which let the castle shine in new splendor.

Hüttenweg 100
14193 Berlin

Grunewald Tower

Grunewald Tower

In Berlin-Wilmersdorf there is the 55 m high Grunewald Tower, which has a viewing platform at a height of 36 m. It allows its visitors an impressive view of meadow, water and forest after they have climbed the 204 steps. The tower was designed by the architect Franz Schwechten. It was built in the brick Gothic style between 1897 and 1899. The building is a memorial to the Prussian King and German Emperor Wilhelm I. The memorial hall was unadorned when it was inaugurated. In 1902, however, it received the larger-than-life statue of Wilhelm I. In addition, the Hale was decorated with cast iron relief panels with portraits of the generals. Particularly noteworthy are the neo-Byzantine ceiling mosaics. They are early works by the church painter August Oetken.

Havelchaussee 61
14193 Berlin

Grunewaldsee

Grunewaldsee

The Grunewaldsee in Berlin-Wilmersdorf is the largest lake in the Grunewald with 17.5 hectares. The body of water is located in the Grunewald forest and is part of the Grunewald chain of lakes. Walkers like to come to the lake, because the nature reserve is picturesque. Bathing in the lake has been prohibited since 2004. However, there are dog bathing areas. Particularly noteworthy is the Grunewald hunting lodge, which was built in the middle of the 16th century. This makes it the oldest castle in the capital. It is open for visits. In the south of the lake is the farmstead and later forester's house Paulsborn, which was built in 1800. Six years later, an inn was built there.

Grunewaldsee
14193 Berlin

Havelchaussee

Havelchaussee

The Havelchaussee is a beautiful little road along the Havel in the forest. It has a total length of almost 11 km and leads through Berlin-Wilmersdorf, among other places. The boulevard was built between 1876 and 1885 and was able to retain its attraction to Berliners over the decades. Especially on weekends, people looking for relaxation use it to enjoy the panoramic view from the winding street in the capital. The maximum permitted road is 30 km / h. On the warm days of the year, sun worshipers cavort on the banks of the Havel. You can also swim at various bathing spots on the Havel. Catering establishments are also available.

Havelchaussee
14193 Berlin

Hohenzollerndamm

Hohenzollerndamm

The Hohenzollerndamm is an important main thoroughfare that runs through Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It connects the western city center with the Steglitz-Zehlendorf district. The road was laid out in 1875. It was named in honor of the high nobility Hohenzollern. They once provided Prussian kings and German emperors. Several important architectural monuments from the 20th century are located along the 4,480 m long road. One of them is a Protestant church that was built in North German brick expressionism in the 1930s. The residential high-rise on Roseneck is typical of the 1950s. The S-Bahn station, which was named after the street, has elements of Neo-Baroque and Art Nouveau.

Hohenzollerndamm
10713 Berlin

Jagdrestaurant & Hotel Paulsborn

Jagdrestaurant & Hotel Paulsborn

The Jagdrestaurant & Hotel Paulsborn is a hotel with a beer garden and restaurant in Berlin-Wilmersdorf on Lake Grunewald. Thanks to its location on the Grunewaldsee, it enables a peaceful stay in the middle of the city. A lot of nature surrounds the building, which is why there are numerous opportunities for excursions into the countryside and to the lake. The hotel rooms take up the closeness to nature. They harmonize perfectly with the old forester's house in which the hotel is housed. It is also noteworthy that the house has a long history. The nobles once used this area for their hunting. Close by is the Jagdschloss-Grunewald, for example. In the hotel's restaurant, game dishes are on the menu.

Hüttenweg 90
14193 Berlin

Ku'damm Beach

Ku'damm Beach

In Berlin-Wilmersdorf on Königsallee, sun worshipers and party people meet at Ku'damm Beach. It is one of the finest beach bars in Berlin and illustrates this with an exclusive ambience. The lounge bar combines fine dining from upscale Italian cuisine, electronic music, champagne and cocktails. In addition, the guests appreciate the location itself. Guests can relax on comfortable loungers right by the water or in the garden and restaurant area.

Koenigsallee 5B
14193 Berlin

Ludwig Barnay Platz

Ludwig Barnay Platz

Ludwig Barnay Platz, which was once called Laubenheimer Platz, is located in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It is a block space that has six road junctions. It is over 100 years old and was created in 1910 by the Terrain-Gesellschaft Berlin-Südwest. The horticultural project followed ten years later. In 1957 Eberhard Fink redesigned the block area. This gave the plant lawns and flower beds. Children's play pools and table tennis tables have been added for fun and games. The old trees have been preserved in all of the measures. The square was given its current name in 1963. Barnay was a co-founder of the German Theater. He also co-founded the “Cooperative of German Stage Members”, which between 1927 and 1930 created the artists' colony on what was then Laubenheimer Platz.

Ludwig Barnay Platz
14197 Berlin

Ludwigkirchplatz

Ludwigkirchplatz

In 1891 a block square was created in Berlin-Wilmersdorf, which was named Ludwigkirchplatz in 1895. This is due to the fact that the Catholic Church of St. Ludwig was built there from 1895 to 1897. In the west of the church there is now a green area with a fountain and a fountain. The lawns are arranged symmetrically. A sculpture of Saint Ludwig rises not far from the bench. In the east of the church, the square was redesigned in the 1980s. The park got a spacious children's playground and a larger paved area. Berliners and holidaymakers of all ages come there to stroll, relax or enjoy the gastronomy in the surrounding restaurants.

Ludwigkirchplatz
10719 Berlin

Messelpark

Messelpark

The almost four hectare Messelpark, which extends over the districts of Schmargendorf and Dahlem, belongs to Berlin-Wilmersdorf. To a large extent, the plant is natural, which is why a lot of wild growth sprouts. The thicket is partially framed by narrow metal bars. Furthermore, walking paths run through the green area, which lead through the area. In the smaller part of the park and thus on the Dahlem side there is a spacious lawn with very old trees. There is also a small, picturesque pond. Children have the opportunity to let off steam in the playground. They also like to climb the mighty boulder that is part of the complex. The park is named after the architect Alfred Messel, who designed the architecture of numerous Berlin buildings.

Messelpark
14195 Berlin

Nikolsburger Platz

Nikolsburger Platz

Nikolsburger Platz in Berlin-Wilmersdorf is a round square with four road junctions and a paved roadway. It was built in 1870 by Johann Anton Wilhelm von Carstenn-Lichterfelde under the name Magdeburger Platz. The aim was to create the southwest corner of the urban Carstenn figure with the square. In 1888 the name of the place was changed. A reference to the city of Nikolsburg, which is now part of the Czech Republic, should be created. The green space was given raised beds in the 1960s. A good 20 years later, lawns and the rebuilding of the Gänselieselbrunnen from 1910 followed. In the west of the square, a neo-renaissance building dominates, which houses the Cecilienschule.

Nikolsburger Platz
10717 Berlin

Olivaer Platz

Olivaer Platz

In Berlin-Wilmersdorf there is a leafy place in the middle of the capital, Olivaer Platz. As early as 1892 it was named after the Oliva monastery near Gdansk. Almost 20 years later, a strictly symmetrical layout followed. This included a terrace space that was surrounded by pyramid poplars. A grotto fountain and a children's playground have also been built. Over the years there have been several changes to adapt the block space to the new challenges of urban planning. In 2019 and 2020 the block space was completely redesigned so that it meets today's requirements. However, one thing has not changed over the centuries: residents use the square with its tall trees and flowers for a short walk.

Olivaer Platz
10707 Berlin

Prager Platz

Prager Platz

In Berlin-Wilmersdorf on the border with the Schöneberg district, Prager Platz is expanding. Motzstraße, Trautenaustraße, Pragerstraße, Aschaffenburger Straße and Prinzregentenstraße flow into the square. The system was built in 1870 under Johann Anton Wilhelm von Carstenn-Lichterfelde. It was initially called Halberstädter Platz, but was given its current name only 18 years later. Over the centuries the square has been redesigned several times. It is currently oval, traffic-calmed and has a paved road. In addition, the green space has a central island with a lawn, hedge green, border borders and a fountain in a flat stone bowl. There is also a small pedestrian zone and a shopping arcade with a relaxation and leisure area.

Prager Platz
10779 Berlin

Preußenpark

Preußenpark

In 1950 Richard Thieme created the Preußenpark under its current name in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It has an area of 55,000 m², which makes it one of the smaller parks in the metropolis. However, its small size should not hide its attractiveness. It has tall trees and an outdoor fitness area suitable for senior citizens. The paths from the park entrance lead to a spacious lawn that invites you to linger. The works of outstanding sculptors, including the sculpture “Borussia” from 1855, are particularly worth seeing. It is about five meters high and represents the personification of Prussia. The park was named after her. A copy of the sculpture has been in the park since 1981 in order to protect the original from the weather.

Preußenpark
10707 Berlin

Rüdesheimer Platz

Rüdesheimer Platz

Rüdesheimer Platz in Berlin-Wilmersdorf is one of the most beautiful facilities in Berlin. It was laid out in 1905 by Georg Haberland and clearly shows that he was guided by the English country house style. The square represents the core of the Berlin Rheingauviertel, which is also indicated by the large fountain. She has magnificent figures of Siegfried, a wine queen and her father, Rhine. In the past few summers, winegrowers from the Rheingau have been serving local grape juices in wooden huts. The square has another special feature with the historic toilet block. It dates from 1900. Not far from the complex are the small theater and the cemetery on Stubenrauchstrasse, where Marlene Dietrich has her grave.

Rüdesheimer Platz
14197 Berlin

Schaubühne

Schaubühne

The Schaubühne on Lehniner Platz in Berlin-Wilmersdorf is a theater. The building was built in 1928 as Erich Mendelsohn's largest cinema. It has a distinctive, round architecture that can be assigned to the New Objectivity. The Second World War severely destroyed the building, which is why it had to be rebuilt. It has been a listed building since 1979. In 1981 the ensemble of the former Schaubühne-am-Hallschen-Ufer moved into the premises. Today, contemporary plays, well-known classics and experimental plays are performed on the stage. The focus of the performances is always the story, without losing sight of an interesting, contemporary narrative style. The directors therefore incorporate social reality into the pieces. In addition, monthly discussion events take place.

Kurfürstendamm 153
10709 Berlin

Schmargendorf village church

Schmargendorf village church

The village church Schmargendorf is the oldest church in Berlin-Wilmersdorf and the church of the Protestant community Alt-Schmargendorf. It was built between the 13th and 14th centuries as a hall church in the early Gothic style. Until 1929 it was the only church in Schmargendorf. It has a floor area of 66 m² and offers space for 80 believers. The Alt-Schmargendorf cemetery is in the immediate vicinity of the kitchen. Since the church was built, it has been redesigned several times to remove war damage and damage caused by the weather. The two bells still exist from the Middle Ages. The altar crucifix dates from around 1700.

Breite Straße 38a
14199 Berlin

Teufelsberg

Teufelsberg

The Teufelsberg rises in the Grunewald in Berlin-Charlottenburg, which is a mountain of rubble around 120 m high. While the area was a listening station for Americans during the Cold War, today it is a recreational destination with a sweeping view of the metropolis. In the summer time, Berliners and vacationers come there to picnic or enjoy the sunset. This is particularly beautiful because of the nearby Teufelssee. In the winter time, the small mountain is occasionally covered with snow, inviting you to go tobogganing. Paragliders use the survey all year round for their flights. The Havel, along which a hiking trail runs, runs close to the mountain. 700 m to the northeast there is another elevation, the Drachenberg, which consists of rubble.

Teufelsberg
14055 Berlin

Town hall Schmargendorf

Town hall Schmargendorf

In the first two years of the 20th century Otto Kerwien built the town hall Schmargendorf in the architectural style of the Brandenburg brick Gothic and with Art Nouveau elements. The Potsdam architect was influenced by the mostly medieval secular buildings in Tangermünde and Stendal. Behind the castle-like walls there is a music school, a registry office for the district and the Adolf Reichwein library. The building in Berlin-Wilmersdorf with its tower, its stepped gables, its turrets and its artistically designed coat of arms is so magnificent that even couples from other countries get married there. The wedding room, which was once the council chamber, inspires with motifs from Wagner's Valkyrie. It can seat up to 25 people. Others can take up standing room.

Berkaer Platz 1
14199 Berlin

Volkspark Wilmersdorf

Volkspark Wilmersdorf

The Volkspark Wilmersdorf is located in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It extends from Rudolstädter Strasse to Martin-Luther-Strasse. It was created in stages between 1912 and 1936. Redesign measures were carried out in the 1960s. However, the first plans for the parkland already existed around 1900. Even then it was clear that the depression from the Ice Age was not suitable as a building site. And so the former head gardener of wealthy citizens - Richard Thieme - was commissioned to create a green landscape. It is now divided into three sections by two traffic arteries. Due to the length of the green strip of around 2.5 km and the small width of 150 m, the green and recreational area is primarily used as a training area for joggers and long-distance runners.

Volkspark Wilmersdorf
10715 Berlin