Skip to main

Berlin-Tiergarten


Berlin-Tiergarten
District

Berlin-Tiergarten is centrally located in Berlin and is divided into the districts of Tiergarten, Hansaviertel and Moabit. The district was named after the Tiergarten of the same name, a huge park in the heart of Berlin, which is also rightly called the green lung of Berlin. Multicultural neighborhoods in Moabit with a big city flair meet spacious and elegant quarters in the Hansaviertel and Tiergarten. With its numerous sights such as the Reichstag, the Victory Column or the Bellevue Palace, Berlin-Tiergarten is one of the capital's largest tourist destinations. The Tiergarten with an area of 210 ha is the largest designed park in Berlin. Then as now, the park attracts Berliners and non-Berliners there to relax from the urban hustle and bustle of the metropolis.

Aquarium Berlin

Aquarium Berlin

The Berlin Aquarium is located next to the Zoological Garden and thus in the Berlin-Tiergarten district. Its history goes back to 1913. It was then quickly growing into one of the world's largest aquariums. It was almost completely destroyed in the Second World War. It is only fully functional again after extensive reconstruction, renovations and extensions. Today it is home to freshwater and marine animals as well as reptiles, amphibians and insects. Due to the dense spatial location, visitors can buy single tickets or opt for a combination ticket that includes a visit to the zoo. Both buildings are under monument protection and are run as a not-for-profit and listed stock corporation.

Budapester Str. 32
10787 Berlin

Bellevue Castle

Bellevue Castle

In Berlin-Tiergarten, Bellevue Palace is a classicist three-wing complex. It was built by Michael Philipp Boumann from 1785 to 1786 and has been rebuilt several times since then. Bombs destroyed the facility so badly during World War II that it was rebuilt true to the original in the 1950s. The former summer residence for the Prussian Prince August Ferdinand has served as the first official residence of the Federal President since 1994. The name Bellevue is not based on the building's picturesque architecture, but on the view of the surrounding parkland. On the portal gable of the castle there are sandstone figures that represent fish farming, hunting and agriculture. They are intended to remind of the once rural area surrounding the magnificent building.

Spreeweg 1
10557 Berlin

Berlin Central Station

Berlin Central Station

Berlin Central Station in Berlin-Tiergarten is the capital's most important passenger train station. It is also the largest tower station in Europe. Around 300,000 travelers and visitors pass it every day. With regard to the location in the network, it is a crossing station with a total of 14 platform tracks for long-distance and local passenger transport. The station and its connecting structures were built between 1995 and 2006. The design was made by Meinhard v. Gerkan (gmp), who is one of the most famous architects in Germany and the world. One year after it opened, the station received the “Station of the Year” award from the “Pro-Rail Alliance”. The Brunel Awards were given for the design of the building.

Europaplatz 1
10557 Berlin

Berlin Philharmonic

Berlin Philharmonic

The Berlin Philharmonic with its golden facade cladding is a concert hall in Berlin-Tiergarten. It is one of the most important concert halls in the capital and is also the home of the Berlin Philharmonic. The foundation stone for the building by Hans Scharoun was laid in September 1960. It is the first building of the cultural forum planned in the post-war era. Around three years later the opening ceremony of the building was already taking place. The opening concert took place under the Austrian conductor Herbert von Karajan. Since then, the Berlin Philharmonic, founded in 1882 and one of the most important orchestras in the world, has played in the concert building.

Herbert-von-Karajan-Straße 1
10785 Berlin

Berlin Zoological Garden

Berlin Zoological Garden

The zoo in Berlin-Tiergarten is the oldest zoo in Germany still in existence. It was opened in 1844 and has an area of 33 hectares. Around 20,200 animals from around 1,400 species live on this area. These include species that are already threatened with extinction. Together with its aquarium, Berlin Zoo is one of the capital's most popular attractions. Every year more than three million people buy tickets for the zoological garden. In addition to its attractions, this is favored by its central location within the metropolis. The train station of the same name and the Memorial Church are located directly on the zoo.

Hardenbergplatz 8
10787 Berlin

Cafe am neuen See

Cafe am neuen See

The Café am neue See restaurant is located in the Großer Tiergarten in Berlin-Tiergarten. It hugs the surface of the water where boat tours are possible. The country house is framed by tall trees. In the outside area of the café, a beer garden invites you to linger. In the rest of the year the lavishly designed interior of the restaurant is a place to enjoy international dishes in peace. It is noteworthy that the café has a long history. It was founded in 1896 so that Berliners and visitors can have something to drink and eat there. Then as now, stoves provide cozy warmth in the interior on cool days.

Lichtensteinallee 2
10787 Berlin

Classic Remise

Classic Remise

In a Wilhelmine street depot in Berlin-Tiergarten, Classic Remise is an attraction for car fans and lovers of industrial architecture. In the lavishly restored rooms, you can marvel at vintage and enthusiast cars. In addition, there are original, versatile shops in which, among other things, model cars, classic clothing, spare parts and much more are available. The mixed use of the halls also includes upscale restaurants and event areas. The opening of this project dates back to 2003. The premises date back to 1899. In the 1920s, extensive renovations took place. The building stood empty for a long time until it was extensively restored for today's operation.

Wiebestraße 36-37
10553 Berlin

English garden

English garden

In the Berlin-Tiergarten district on the other side of Altonaer Strasse, the English Garden is located in the large Tiergarten. The ornate garden is a gift from the British occupation forces, which was designed by Willy Alverdes. The German horticultural architect made skilful use of the existing topography of the property. This is particularly evident in a two meter deep basin that has become a pond with two islands. Today the tea house is the heart of the 40,000 m² garden. Other characteristics of the garden are its wild flowers, lawns, shrubs, trees and shrubs. While some are carefully landscaped, others form a natural garden. At the request of the British occupying forces, a rock garden was created when the garden was laid out, on which rhododendrons can be planted.

Altonaer Str. 2
10557 Berlin

Federal Chancellery

Federal Chancellery

The Federal Chancellery in Berlin-Tiergarten is the seat of the federal authority of the same name. It has a floor area of around 19,000 m² and a height of up to 36 m. Between 1997 and 2001 this post-modern building was built based on a design by Charlotte Frank and Axel Schultes. It is part of an assembly in the Spreebogen at Willy-Brandt-Straße 1. The open, transparent construction and the imposing size are particularly remarkable. The building is eight times larger than the White House and the largest government headquarters in the world. It has a central building with a total of nine floors and a management building. There are also elongated wings on the building. The landmark of the building is its 18 m high semicircle, which makes up the upper part of the facade.

Willy-Brandt-Straße 1
10557 Berlin

German Resistance Memorial Center

German Resistance Memorial Center

The German Resistance Memorial Center is both an educational institution and a memorial. It is a reminder of the entire resistance in Germany against National Socialism. The educational facility and memorial are located on Berlin's Stauffenbergstrasse in the Bendlerblock in Berlin-Tiergarten. In addition to the memorial, the Federal Ministry of Defense has had a further office since 1993. The foundation of the memorial dates back to 1952. The area has been continuously expanded, redesigned and expanded as part of various initiatives. The memorial from 1953, which was created by the sculptor Richard Scheibe, is particularly eye-catching. It represents a bronze figure of a naked young man with his hands tied.

Stauffenbergstraße 13
10785 Berlin

Großer Tiergarten

Großer Tiergarten

Großer Tiergarten in Berlin-Tiergarten im is the largest landscaped park in the city with around 210 hectares and also its oldest public park. Its history goes back to the first half of the 16th century when a zoo was established for hunting. Today's green space is thanks to Frederick the Great, who didn't like hunting. That's why he commissioned an architect in 1742 to transform this area into a public pleasure garden. He had the park restored in the decorative Baroque style, which quickly made it a center of attraction for the population. Then as now, people are drawn there to relax in the green lungs of Berlin from the urban hustle and bustle.

Straße des 17. Juni
10785 Berlin

Hansaplatz

Hansaplatz

Hansaplatz has existed in Berlin-Tiergarten since the 19th century. It is the center of the Hansaviertel, where the following streets intersect: Lessingstrasse, Klopstockstrasse and Altonaer Strasse. The place gained fame in the pre-war period when a neurological clinic was built there. Then in the 1950s there was a redesign. A model estate was created in the classic modern style. The peculiarity of the local development including the gardens is also expressed in the monument protection under which the quarter was placed in 1995. Renovation and refurbishment measures based on the original have been taking place since 2006.

Hansaplatz
10557 Berlin

Hansaviertel

Hansaviertel

With the Hansaviertel there is an extraordinary quarter in Berlin-Tiergarten. It is the result of an urban development competition that dates back to the 1950s. The draft at that time was a contrast to the other closed block development. In the post-war period, relaxed structures and flowing transitions were required. 53 architects from all over the world were allowed to create 45 objects. Of these, 35 were ultimately implemented. To this day, the ensemble is a prime example of modern urban planning and architecture in the years after the war. The buildings in the quarter have a mixed use. Shops, a cinema or theater, a kindergarten and a library are located around the center of Hansaplatz. There is even a church. In addition, social housing has found space here.

Hansaviertel
10557 Berlin

House of World Cultures

House of World Cultures

In the architectural style of modernism, a building was built in Berlin-Tiergarten from 1956 to 1957, which today houses the House of World Cultures, founded in 1989. It serves as an exhibition space for contemporary art from all parts of the globe. At the same time, the facility is used as a forum for current developments. Non-European societies and cultures are particularly considered. The art forms presented are primarily theater, dance, film, exhibition, literature and performance. The boundaries are often blurred, creating an exceptional incentive. If these events primarily attract adults, there is also a program especially for adolescents every year. In February, at the time of the Berlinale, the children's film series takes place, which attracts countless young film fans into the great hall.

John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10
10557 Berlin

Landwehrkanal

Landwehrkanal

Part of the eleven-kilometer Landwehr Canal extends through the district of Berlin-Tiergarten. This federal waterway begins at the Spree in Berlin-Kreuzberg and ends at the Spree in Berlin-Charlottenburg. The water with its green banks runs like a green ribbon through the inner city areas. It has been part of the cityscape of today's metropolis since the 19th century and was renovated and expanded between 2009 and 2014. Many areas of the canal have promenades and wide avenues that attract residents and holidaymakers alike. They are suitable for relaxing, jogging and walking. In the immediate vicinity of some of the waterfront areas, there are cafes, bars and restaurants that invite you to linger.

Landwehrkanal
Berlin

Letter Museum

Letter Museum

The letter museum is located in Berlin-Tiergarten near Bellevue train station. Behind this is a museum project that was launched to store and display exciting typographic objects from public space. The foundation goes back to 2005. More than 350 letters and logos are housed in the museum. Some of them reach a considerable height of 2.5 m and a weight of 100 kg. Detailed information is given for each of the exhibits in order to find out the interesting history of the object. The most notable items include the “Hertie” department store logo and the “Zierfische” logo from a former zoo and aquarium store. The last-mentioned exhibit dates from 1957 and was an integral part of the street scene at Frankfurter Tor until 2009.

Stadtbahnbogen 424
10557 Berlin

Luiseninsel

Luiseninsel

In the Großer Tiergarten in the Berlin-Tiergarten district, residents and visitors alike enjoy the Luiseninsel. It is an artificially raised island and artfully designed system in a water course in the park. The central element of the complex is a monument to Queen Luise, which was inaugurated in 1880. Over the decades, there was damage to the monument and the horticultural ornamentation. It was not until 1987, during the 750th anniversary of Berlin, that the entire horticultural complex was restored according to the original plans. Even the protective and decorative grilles of the earlier designs have been reconstructed. The monument to Queen Luise was restored in 2013 and has been enthroned again on the island since then.

Im Tiergarten
10785 Berlin

Moabiter Werder

Moabiter Werder

Behind the Moabiter Werder area is a built-up area in Berlin-Tiergarten. It stretches along the north bank of the Spree. The history of the site is long and well documented. It has been the property of the metropolis since the 13th century. In the middle of the 17th century, Elector Friedrich Wilhelm I enlarged his hunting ground there. In the following centuries there were numerous conversions. Even asparagus once grew there. Today the area is characterized by the residential buildings for members of the Bundestag and employees of the Federal Government of Berlin. Other important buildings are the new building for the Ministry of the Interior - built between 2010 and 2014 -, a police and fire station and a school. In addition, the area is being upgraded with restaurants and parks.

Moabiter Werder
10557 Berlin

Moltkebrücke

Moltkebrücke

The 78 m long Moltkebrücke leads over the Spree in Berlin-Tiergarten. It can be used by pedestrians and drivers alike. The load-bearing steel structure on pillars made of steel has been faced with red sandstone. The area of the Federal Chancellery expands directly at the southwest end of the bridge. The bridge was designed by Helmuth von Moltke, who was chief of the Prussian general staff in the second half of the 19th century. It was built between 1886 and 1891 under the direction of the architect Otto Stahn. Extensive restoration work was necessary after the Second World War. The bridge is now a listed building.

Moltkebrücke
10557 Berlin

Museum for the present

Museum for the present

The Museum für Gegenwart is housed in a former station building in Berlin-Tiergarten and inspires with an extensive collection of contemporary art from around the world. Visitors to the museum can get an impression of the art trends from the 1960s to the present day. Painting is represented as well as photography, object art and media art. The exhibits by well-known artists are spread over an area of 13,000 m². The Kleihueshalle with its world-famous Mao portrait by Andy Warhol and the black and white photo series by Bernd and Hilla Becher are particularly worth seeing. The sculpture group “The End of the 20th Century” by Joseph Beuys is a crowd puller. Not only children are fascinated by Anselm Kiefer's work “Poppy and Memory”. This is a jet made of lead.

Invalidenstraße 50-51
10557 Berlin

Neue Nationalgalerie

Neue Nationalgalerie

The Neue Nationalgalerie at the Kulturforum in Berlin-Tiergarten is a museum for modern art. The exhibits are housed in a building that was designed by Ludwig Mies von der Rohe and is an example of Classical Modernism. The building was opened in 1968. From 2015, extensive renovation work will take place on the building, which will take five years. The museum houses various collections with a focus on Cubism, Surrealism, Expressionism and Bauhaus. There are works of art by Gris, Picasso, Leger and Laurens to marvel at, which illustrate the development of Cubist art. Other outstanding works of art are works by artists such as Kirchner, Klee, Feininger, Dix and Kokoschka.

Potsdamer Straße 50
10785 Berlin

Neuer See

Neuer See

In the late 17th century, Elector Friedrich III. Convert a former hunting ground into a pleasure park: the Great Zoo with its 210 hectares. The park attraction Neuer See belongs to the English landscape park with its tall trees, watercourses and lawns. It is located in the southwest of the park and has been an attraction for walkers and those seeking relaxation since its creation. It is easy to get to by public transport because the Berlin-Tiergarten S-Bahn station is nearby. In addition to picnicking in the green areas and a visit to the local beer garden, Berliners and visitors come there to explore the lake in the Great Zoo by rowing boat. Hotels and pensions can be found in the immediate vicinity.

Lichtensteinallee 2
10787 Berlin

Open-air gas lantern museum

Open-air gas lantern museum

The open-air gas lantern museum in Berlin-Tiergarten, not far from the S-Bahn station of the same name, is a permanent exhibition of historical gas-operated lanterns. This open-air museum was launched in 1978. The reason for this was not to let the gas lanterns be forgotten. At first, visitors could only admire 31 lanterns. Today there are 90 old lanterns, all of which are looked after by employees of the German Museum of Technology. In order to get more information about the lanterns, there are overview boards. Among other things, they indicate where the lanterns come from. The collection includes gas lanterns from all over Europe. The oldest model is from Berlin and is dated to the year 1826.

Straße des 17. Juni 17
10557 Berlin

Potsdamer Platz

Potsdamer Platz

Potsdamer Platz is a square-like traffic junction. It is located in the districts of Berlin-Tiergarten and Berlin-Mitte. The name of the square is based on its long history. The "Potsdamer Thor" was built there in 1734. Today the square shines in a futuristic architecture, as the entire district was redesigned by outstanding architects in the 1990s. There are high-rise buildings as well as smaller buildings. They house a large shopping arcade, restaurants and cinemas. Renzo Piano and Christoph Kohlbecker created the master plan for the district. Another five teams of architects helped with the development and the architectural drafts. This created a tension between homogeneity and structural diversity.

Potsdamer Platz
10785 Berlin

Reichstag

Reichstag

The Reichstag in Berlin-Tiergarten has been the seat of the German Bundestag since 1999. The imposing building in the neo-renaissance style on the left bank of the Spree is steeped in history. It was built between 1884 and 1894 based on a design by Paul Wallot. At that time, the building housed the German Empire and the Weimar Republic Reichstag. A fire in the Reichstag in 1933 and the destruction of World War II caused the building to suffer severe damage. It was rebuilt in the 1960s, with extensive modernizations taking place. The premises were then used for special events and exhibitions. As the seat of the Bundestag, pictures of the magnificent building with its accessible glass dome over the plenary hall regularly go around the world.

Platz der Republik 1
11011 Berlin

Republic Square

Republic Square

In Berlin-Tiergarten, the Republic Square expands in front of the Reichstag in the government district. Almost the entire area of 397,000 m² is green. The square has existed since the first third of the 18th century. Since then he has changed his name several times. It was originally called Königsplatz. With the abolition of the monarchy in 1926 it received its current name for the first time. But only seven years later, when the National Socialists came to power, it was renamed Königsplatz again. It has had its current name since 1948. The place is popular with those seeking relaxation. You are not only on an area steeped in history, but are also surrounded by other symbols of German history and the present. This includes the flanking government buildings, some parts of which can be visited.

Platz der Republik
10557 Berlin

Schultheiss Quartier

Schultheiss Quartier

The Schultheiss Quartier was opened in 2018 on the former site of the Schultheiss brewery in Berlin-Tiergarten. As part of the project, the listed parts of the old brewery building were extensively renovated. New buildings complement the structure in order to have more usable space available. The construction work lasted from autumn 2015 to summer 2018. Today the quarter has over 30,000 m² of retail space for around 100 shops. The office space amounts to around 15,000 m². This use is supplemented by a hotel with an area of 8,500 m² and 250 rooms. The shopping center there with its mix of technology and fashion is intended to enhance the district.

Turmstraße 25
10559 Berlin

Sony Center

Sony Center

At Potsdamer Platz in Berlin-Tiergarten there is the Sony Center, a futuristic building ensemble. The name is based on the history of the building complex. Sony's European headquarters was once located in one of the seven buildings. Today it has a German branch there. The architect of the building ensemble is the architect Helmut Jahn, who is the managing director of the Chicago office Murphy / Jahn. The construction phase was between 1995 and 1998. In June 2000 the entire complex was opened. The building ensemble has a total floor area of around 132,500 m². About 68,000 m² of this is office space. Living space is around 26,500 m². The film house has a size of around 17,500 m². The entertainment center is 17,000 square meters. Gastronomy and retail share around 8,100 m².

Potsdamer Platz 2
10785 Berlin

Soviet memorial

Soviet memorial

The Soviet Memorial in Berlin-Tiergarten is located on Strasse des 17. Juni. It is one of four cenotaphs of the Soviet Union that are both a memorial and a military cemetery in one. The other three are in Treptower Park, Bucher Schlosspark and Schönholzer Heide. The memorial in the zoo was built in 1945 immediately after World War II. It honors the soldiers of the Red Army who died during the war. The structure of the monument is very noticeable. Two tanks form the frame. In the middle of the square there is a bronze statue of a soldier shouldering a rifle. Behind it are pillars bearing the names of fallen Soviet soldiers. At the rear, more than 2,500 Red Army soldiers are resting in graves.

Straße des 17. Juni 4
10557 Berlin

Spreebogenpark

Spreebogenpark

In Berlin-Tiergarten near the government district, the approximately six-hectare Spreebogenpark is expanding. He withdraws from the Moltke Bridge to the Federal Chancellery. The plant was completed in 2005. One year after its completion, it became the center of interest again, as sculptures of two six-meter-high soccer shoes were erected there as part of the 2006 World Cup. The complex is otherwise characterized by extensive lawns and groups of trees, making it a popular recreational destination. In addition, two parallel riverside paths and two garden strips run through the green area. Since the park hugs one of the Spree arches, it got its name.

Ludwig-Erhard-Ufer
10557 Berlin

Strasse der Erinnerung

Strasse der Erinnerung

The Strasse der Erinnerung in Berlin-Tiergarten has the motto "Heroes without swords". There, outstanding personalities are honored in the form of sculptures who have distinguished themselves through scientific achievements, artistic achievements or selfless engagement against the arbitrary state of the state. These include bronze busts of the politician Ludwig Erhard, the writer Thomas Mann, the resistance fighter Georg Elser and the sculptor Käthe Kollwitz. The physicist Albert Einstein and former Chancellor Helmut Kohl are also represented. The sculpture “We are the people” is also remarkable. This honors all people who forced the fall of the wall because of their non-violent resistance against the SED party. The monument is open to the public and free of charge.

Straße der Erinnerung
10557 Berlin

Straße des 17. Juni

Straße des 17. Juni

The Straße des 17. Juni is a main artery, party mile and tourist attraction in one. It stretches from the Brandenburg Gate through Berlin-Tiergarten to Ernst-Reuter-Platz. It thus connects the former East Berlin with the former West Berlin. Overall, it has a length of 3.5 kilometers and a width of up to 85 meters. The history of the street goes back to the 17th century. At that time, Elector Friedrich III had it laid out. The current name of the street is based on recent German history. It is reminiscent of a popular uprising in the GDR. Around June 17, 1953, strikes broke out in East Berlin and the GDR. With the help of the Soviet occupation army, the protests were violently suppressed. They killed 34 people.

Straße des 17. Juni
10785 Berlin

Tilla-Durieux-Park

Tilla-Durieux-Park

Between 2000 and 2003, Tilla-Durieux-Park was laid out on Potsdamer Platz in Berlin-Tiergarten based on a design by the team from the Amsterdam landscape architecture firm DS Landschapsarchitecten. It cost around 2.25 million euros and was opened on June 21, 2003. The approximately 25,000 m² park forms a 50-meter-narrow band with sloping lawns. The special lawn design creates a lawn sculpture with five 21-meter-long seesaws on its transverse axis. Sideways are promenades that have been planted with tall linden trees. The park is named after the famous actress Tilla Durieux, who was Austrian and was very active professionally in Berlin.

Linkstraße
10785 Berlin

Victory Column

Victory Column

One of the most important sights in the German capital is the Victory Column on the Great Star in Berlin-Tiergarten. It is 67 m high and has a viewing platform that can be reached after 285 steps. From there you have a view of the Tiergarten and thus Berlin's largest park. The column was built between 1864 and 1873. Heinrich Strack designed the monument to commemorate Prussia's victories against Austria, Denmark and France. The column with its 8.32 meter high winged goddess of victory once stood on Königsplatz. It was moved to its current location shortly before the outbreak of World War II.

Großer Stern
10557 Berlin

Walter-Gropius-Haus

Walter-Gropius-Haus

The Walter-Gropius-Haus is located in Berlin-Tiergarten at the Großer Tiergarten, and is one of the most outstanding residential buildings in the capital. It has nine floors across which 66 condominiums are distributed. The building is part of 35 objects that were realized as part of the 1957 building exhibition. Characteristic of this building is a structure that opens to the south and has a concave curved shape. The well-structured facade of the house is plastically complex. The striking narrow sides with their striking structure should also be emphasized. The stairwell presents itself as a kind of tower. The apartments in the building can be reached via four entrances. The house has been a listed building since 1980.

Händelallee 1-9
10557 Berlin

Westhafen

Westhafen

In Berlin-Tiergarten there is an inland port within the capital, the Berlin Westhafen. It has a total area of 430,000 m², making it the largest port in the metropolis. The port facility is divided into two parallel port basins. The port has a connection to the Havel and the Spree via the Spandauer Schifffahrtskanal and the Westhafenkanal. The system is integrated between the Oder and Elbe rivers via the supraregional waterway network. Since the port opened in the 1920s, it has developed into an important transshipment and storage point. There is also a connection to the Hamburg and Lehrter freight depots and the Moabit freight depot to enable rail transport.

Westhafen
13353 Berlin